- Jai Prakash Vishwavidyalaya
Jai Prakash Vishwavidyalaya
Jai Prakash Vishwavidyala (University) was established on 22nd November 1990 under the Bihar State Universities Act, 1976. It was carved out of Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University earlier known as the Bihar University Muzaffarpur. Three districts of Chapra, Siwan and Gopalganj are covered under its jurisdiction. Currently, there are 21 constituent colleges, 11 affiliated colleges in which 2 are deficit Grant Colleges (including one minority college).
Though the University is a new one, the colleges affiliated under it were there much before. Rajendra College, Chapra is the oldest College (established in the year 1938) of this University and occupies a Special Status in the field of higher education. All the colleges are UGC affiliated. Department of Science & Technology, Government of India under special package to Bihar has selected seven colleges for improvement of laboratory and other infrastructure facilities. Each college will be given Rs. 50 lakh for this purpose.
There are total 17 P.G. Departments imparting quality education in the field of Higher Education. The scholars have been carrying out research works of international standard.
Much of the success achieved by Jai Prakash University can be attributed to the fact of providing primary and quality education to the students of the backward regions of Bihar. Dalit & underprivileged students are encouraged to pursue higher education under Distance Education Programmes of this University.Jai Prakash University helps those students to achieve what they want by imparting quality education to all.
Constituent Colleges of Jai Prakash Vishwavidyala
In Chapra (Saran) District
- Rajendra College, Chapra (Saran)
- Jagdam College, Chapra (Saran)
- Jai Prakash Mahila College, Chapra (Saran)
- Ramjaipal College, Chapra (Saran)
- Ganga Singh College, Chapra (Saran)
- P. C. Vigyan College, Chapra (Saran)
- Jaglal Choudhary College, Chapra (Saran)
- Y. N. College, Dighwara, (Saran)
- Nandalal Singh College, Daudpur Jaitpur (Saran)
- P. N. College, Parsa, (Saran)
- H. R. College, Amnour, (Saran)
In Siwan District
- D.A.V.College, Siwan
- Vidya Bhawan Mahila College, Siwan
- Raja Singh College, Siwan
- R.B.G.R.College, Maharajganj, (Siwan)
- Narayan College, Goriyakothi, (Siwan)
- H. R. College, Mairwa, (Siwan)
In Gopalganj District
- Kamla Rai College, Gopalganj
- Mahendra Mahila College, Gopalganj
- Gopeshwar College, Hathwa, (Gopalganj)
- Bhola Prasad Singh College, Bhore, (Gopalganj)
The Affiliated Colleges are:
- P.R. College, Sonpur, Saran. (Deficit Grant)
- Z.A. Islamia College, Siwan. (Deficit Grant and Minority College)
- Dr.P.N.Singh Degree College, Chapra.
- B.D.S.M. Mahila College, Salempur, Chapra.
- Lok Mahavidyalaya,Hafizpur Baniapur (Saran).
- Deoraha Baba Shridhar Das Degree College, Kadna Garkha (Saran).
- Daroga Pd.Rai Degree College, Siwan.
- Mazhrul Haque Degree College, Tarwara (Siwan).
- Desh Ratan Rajaendra Prasad Degree College, Ziradai (Siwan).
- Shri Mahendra Das Degree College, Mathia Nechua, Jalalpur (Gopalganj)
- Mata Rojhni Devi Chhathu Ram Degree College, Mairwa (Siwan)
The Proposed Colleges are :-
- Ram Jaipal Mahila College, Chapra
- Dr. R. N. Singh Evening College, Chapra
- Banaras Singh Degree College, Jalalpur, Saran
- Dr. Bhrigu Nath Yadav Degree College, Kachnar, Saran
- Basudeo Singh Memorial Degree College, Masrakh, Saran
- Sudha Devi Degree College, Tajpur, Manjhi, Saran
- Lakshman Janak Degree College, Dighwara, Saran
- Co-operative Degree College, Sakaddi Korar, Saran
- J. S. Bhardwaj Degree College, Dhup Nagar, Dhobawal, Nagra, Saran
- J. K. Degree College, Gheghta, Chapra, Saran
- Paras Kaushal Degree College, Chapra
- Shrikant Babu Degree College, Belawanawan, Kuchaikot, Gopalganj
- S. N. Pandey Degree College, Khajuriya, Barauli, Gopalganj
- Girja Jeetan Degree Mahavidyalaya, Bucheyan, Sidhwaliya, Gopalganj
- Babu Bhuvneshwar Prasad Degree College, Naviganj, Chapra, Saran
- Rajballam-Devendra-Manorma (R.D.M.) Degree College, Rathor Newaji Tola, Chapra, Saran
- Basudeo Singh Memorial Degree College, Mashrak, Saran
- R. A. Evening Degree College, Katahribag, Chapra
- Dr. Bhushan Prasad Yadav Degree College
- Umashankar-Ramjanm Evening College, Hanuman Nagar
- Shakti Shanti Degree College, Ambika Sthan, Ami, Dighwara, Chapra (Bihar)
- Hariharnath Degree Mahavidyalay
The Proposed Professional Colleges are :-
- Ganga Singh Law College, Chapra
- Siwan Engineering & Technical Institute, Siwan
- Gorakh Singh B. Ed. College, Maharajganj
- Solanki Teachers Training College, Chapra
- Y. T. Teachers Training College
- Baikunth Teachers Training College, Vill-Amlouri (Siwan)
- S. R. Teachers Training College, Line Bazar, Mirganj (Gopalganj)
- Govt. Teacher Training College
- Mathura Singh Teachers Training College, Jalalpur, Khalpura, Saran
- Prakash B. Ed. Teacher Training College
- Basudeo Singh Memorial B.Ed. College
- Rajendra Kishori B.Ed. College, Sughari, Bhagwanpur, Siwan
Programmes Offered by Jai Prakash Vishwavidyala
The university has a two years intermediate programme, admission of which is open to those students only who have successfully cleared Class 10 examination of Bihar School Examination Board or any of its equivalent examination.
Three-Year Degree Programmes
Three-Year Degree Programmes are offered by Jai Prakash University in the disciplines of Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, and Commerce. Admissions are done on the basis of marks in qualifying degree. Final decision will be made by academic council of University only.
Three-Year Programmes in Law
Three-year graduation programme is available here. The minimum eligibility criteria for admission in LL.B. programme is to have a graduation degree in any discipline with atleast 40 % of marks. Admission is done on the basis of entrance test.
One can pursue postgraduate course in the following disciplines:
(a). Faculty of Humanities
Hindi, Sanskrit, English, Urdu, Philosophy
(b). Faculty of Social Sciences
Political Science, Economics, History, Psychology, Geography
(c). Faculty of Science
Zoology, Botany, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics
(d). Faculty of Commerce
For admission into PhD programs the university conducts its own entrance test. The final selection of candidates in PhD programs is made on the basis of merit in entrance test.
Distance Education Programmes in Jai Prakash Vishwavidyala
The Distance Education programme is one of the most popular programes in Jai Prakash Vishwavidyala. Its aim is to ‘promote, coordinate and regulate the standards of education offered through open and distance education mode.’
The programmes conducted by the distance learning council are governed by the Regulation and Ordinance passed by University's Academic Council and Syndicate. The University is planning to launch the following courses soon. The courses are of 3 years duration except for Bachelor of Journalism & Mass Communication which is on 1 year duration.
Bachelor of Computer Application
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Journalism & Mass Communication
- Bachelor of Library Information Science
- Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Science(Under Distance Mode)
Post Graduation in Mathematics & Statistics
Vocational Courses (Under Self-Financing Scheme)
The various vocational courses offered by the University are
1. B.Sc.(H) a. Biotechnology
b. Industrial Microbiology
c. Industrial Fish & Fisheries
d. Environmental Science
2. B.A.(H) : a. Advertising, Sales Promotion & Sales Management
b. Functional Hindi
c. Functional English
d. Communicative English
Proposed Vocational Degree Courses
1. B.Ed. (One Year)
2. Four Year Integrated B.Ed. Course
4. Mass Communication
for details on professional and vocational courses
Jai Prakash Vishwavidyalaya,
Rahul Sankrityan Nagar,
Near Parwati Ashram (Chota Telpa),
Chapra - 841301,
Fax No:-  - 232607
Phone No. :-  - 233121
Fax No. :-  - 233507